FieldWorks 9.0.5 Beta
Version Date: Nov. 2, 2018
Known Issues with this version
- This is is not a complete list of the known things that don’t work in FieldWorks.
- The play button for audio writing systems will not work with mp3 files.
- There is a bug in the patching that is a part of the new installer. Until we get it fixed, it will be necessary to install the Base package again. It is not necessary to uninstall the previous base package.
- The Repair function in the 9.0.4 and 9.0.5 installers will break the installation. Instead, uninstall the program then install it fresh instead of Repair.
- If you have problems installing on a Windows 10 or other 64-bit operating system, try installing the Visual Studio Redistributable from https://aka.ms/vs/15/release/vc_redist.x64.exe
- Installation may fail on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 due to missing software. If you have trouble installing, click the button that opens an installation log and send that to firstname.lastname@example.org to get help.
- There may be problems installing or running on Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1.
- If FLEx fails to start, it is likely due to Microsoft .NET Framework version 4.6.1 not being installed. To fix this, download and install https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=49982
- The 32-bit installers are not yet fully functional, so they will have problems. In addition to the .NET runtime, users will also need to install the Visual Studio 2017 redistributable (https://download.visualstudio.microsoft.com/download/pr/11687613/88b50ce70017bf10f2d56d60fcba6ab1/VC_redist.x86.exe) prior to installation. If you bought your computer in the last 10 years, it is probably 64-bit.
- If you are using Windows 8.1, you will need to install the 8.1 update 2919355 if it’s not already installed before installing the 2017 redistributable. The Win8.1 update can be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=f2917221-a8b3-4024-b755-818ad0e7703d
- When using ChorusHub, it must be run on a Windows machine. Running it from a Xenial machine doesn’t work reliably.
Send/Receive Lexicon (LIFT) with e.g. WeSay
- Send/Receive Lexicon should not be used to pass data between two or more FLEx users. You should use Send/Receive Project.
- Send/Receive Lexicon depends on the LIFT standard. Some FLEx data is not handled well yet by this collaboration method. E.g. Which entries belong in which inflection template slots and some other morphological grammar facts stored on a lexical entry. Components of a complex form. Custom lexical relations. Example Sentences, which will work with simple examples, but when edits happen to the example sentence, the results may not be reliable since LIFT does not use unique ids for examples.
- If you created a custom field in WeSay and used a previous version of LIFTBridge with FLEx (e.g. in 2012), FLEx will crash when you try to open the project. Please contact us for help. LT-13850
Packages For Windows
Which packages to download
Offline packages contains Visual Studio redistributables; Online package can get them off the web. If your internet isn’t very reliable, use the offline version.
Most users can probably use the 64-bit version of FieldWorks, though you will need a 64 bit operating system. It will allow for more addressable space and hopefully relieve most memory issues.
You will need the 32-bit version of FieldWorks if you have a 32-bit operating system.
|64-bit FieldWorks (offline installer) Offline FieldWorks||307 MB|
|64-bit FieldWorks (online installer)||271 MB|
Installers for 32-bit FieldWorks
These installers could cause problems during installation though they are necessary if you are running a 32 bit Operating system. Look under ‘Known Issues’ for more help. If you still have problem, click the button to bring up the installation log, then send us the log to get help.
|32-bit FieldWorks (offline installer)||274 MB|
|32_bit FieldWorks (online installer)||254 MB|
No patch is available for this version as it is the base version.
- Download one of the installation packages above.
- Double-click the exe file you downloaded.
- If FieldWorks is already installed, you have the option to Repair or Uninstall the current installation.
- If FieldWorks is not already installed, you can install it by checking ‘I agree to the license terms’ to indicate you agree with the license and click ‘Install’ then ‘Next’.
- Select the type of Installation you want to do.
- Typical will install the most common program fearures.
- Custom will allow you to select which languages to install.
- Complete will install all the available program features.
For more information on upgrading to FieldWorks 7 or 8 from an older version (6 or earlier), see here.
Please check the Known Issues section above.
Note: The movies have not yet been updated since FieldWorks 6. More recent movies are available online as noted on the demo movies webpage below.
- Sample projects are no longer being included in the download packages.
- The version of sample data you need will depend on the model of the version of FieldWorks you are using.
- For versions 9.0.4 and later. You can download them here:
- For versions 8.3.2 and later. You can download them here:
- For versions 8.0.5 – 8.3.0, use this sample data:
- Sena 2 – 14 MB (Lexicon and Texts for training)
- Sena 3 – 15 MB (Lexicon and Texts data)
- Lela-Teli 2 – 2 MB (Data Notebook for training)
- Lela-Teli 3 – 2 MB (Data Notebook data)
- Click one of the sample projects, such as “Sena 3”. Download and save this file to your computer. If you find that your browser (e.g., I.E.) has renamed the files to .zip, you will need to rename them first to .fwbackup in order for the FieldWorks restore function to work.
- Launch FieldWorks (FLEx).
- Open the Restore a Project dialog by doing one of the following:
- If the welcoming Language Explorer dialog appears, click “Restore a project from a backup file”.
- Or if the main FieldWorks Language Explorer window appears, choose File -> Project Management -> Restore a Project.
- On the Restore a Project dialog, click “Another location” and click Browse.
- Navigate to the downloaded sample project file (which may be in your Downloads directory by default), click the file, and click Open.
- Click OK.
Following is the MD5 hash of each of the download packages, should you wish to use this to verify the download completed successfully.
Recommended System Configuration
- Operating system: Microsoft Windows® 10 version 1803 or later
- Computer and processor: Computer with Intel Core® (or equivalent) processor running at 2.5 gigahertz (GHz) or higher
- Memory: 4 gigabytes (GB) of RAM or more.
Note: The more RAM and the faster the CPU, the better FieldWorks will perform, especially with larger projects.
Minimum System Requirements
- Operating system: Microsoft Windows® 7 with Service Pack 1.
- Computer and processor: Computer with Intel Pentium® (or equivalent) processor running at 1.5 gigahertz (GHz).
- Memory: 500 megabytes (MB) of RAM.
- Hard disk: Hard disk space requirements will vary depending on existing machine configuration and custom installation choices. As a guideline figure, you should have at least 1.5 gigabytes free prior to installation. In any case, you are recommended to have at least 10% of your hard drive free in order to allow Windows to run properly.
- Display: 1024 by 768 pixels screen resolution or greater (for laptops, use native display resolution).
- Offline storage: An external USB drive, network drive, or writeable CD-ROM to allow offline data backups.
- Peripherals: Mouse or compatible pointing device.