Jaunty Release (for OLPC-XO)
The Balsa prototype based on Ubuntu 9.04 (jaunty) is available for alpha testing. This is the only version that works for the OLPC XO-1. It is in the form of an image file that you can download and copy to an SD card.
What you will need to install Balsa (for OLPC-XO)
- OLPC XO-1 computer (UNLOCKED with a developer key, OR a netbook or PC running Windows or Linux.
- 4 GB or larger SDHC card — any content on this card will be erased!!!! The file extracts to slightly more than 3 GB, leaving plenty of space to store language data, unless you plan to do a lot of desktop publishing. There are images available for 4 GB and 8 GB cards. If you put it on a larger card, Balsa will only use up to the size of the image.
- You may use a larger card: the OLPC supports up to 16 GB SDHC cards.
- A computer that can read/write to SDHC cards (or a USB adapter for SDHC).
- The computer that you use to build the SD card will require 5 GB of space to prepare for a 4 GB card and 9 GB to prepare for an 8 GB card.
- A good internet connection, as you need to download an 850 MB file.
You have to use a non-XO machine to download and build the SD card.
If you use a Windows machine, a link for downloading the SD card image and instructions for making the card are here.
If you use a Linux machine, the link is here.
- Jaunty(XO) – Download and Produce a Balsa SD Card using a Windows Machine
- Jaunty(XO) – Download and Produce a Balsa SD Card using a Linux Machine