WeSay on Linux

WeSay is available for older versions of the Linux Ubuntu distribution, Lucid being the most recent. There are two releases available, wesay-stable and wesay. The wesay release is our development release that has our latest features, but may have more issues as we are actively working on it. wesay-stable will… Read More

Announcing WeSay 1.3

Here’s what’s new in WeSay 1.3, which Windows users can download here: WeSay 1.3.78 for Windows MSI | 21 MB | 17 May 2013 Display glosses in Gather by Semantic Domain Task If you configure this task so that users can enter… Read More

Collect Words by Semantic Domains

It’s been awhile since we’ve posted but that does not mean we haven’t been active. I’ve added a new task to collect words by semantic domains. There is substantial evidence that we organize words in our minds in a network of relationships. Words tend to cluster in groups that we… Read More

A Better, Faster Find

A couple weeks ago, a potential user approached us wanting to use WeSay to keep a simple dictionary of words he had encountered while language learning. Right away, he wrote back and said he needed the entries in the dictionary view to be sorted. He also asked us to speed… Read More


One of the goals of WeSay is to support user interfaces in languages with scripts that require complex shaping. Microsoft Windows has the ability to render complex scripts using their shaping engine called Uniscribe. However, some languages, such as Burmese, are not yet supported… Read More

Introducing the Dashboard

Since it’s been awhile since we’ve blogged, I figured I’d give a little status report. We just finished getting the dashboard task to be functional. The dashboard displays the current task as well as a list of available tasks that the user can select. It also provides a short description… Read More

This Isn’t Prototype Anymore

Thanks to Cathy, we now have a revamped skin on our wiki. We also have acquired <wesay.org> so update your bookmarks. I have been working on two areas of WeSay. The first is our data access layer. Db4o provides a read only IList when queried. In the… Read More

Against a Brick Wall

After two discouraging days of trying to get Mono to work on the OLPC image, I have finally figured out why I was up against such a brick wall. The first problem I had was that the Mono installer for linux only provides bindings… Read More


Thanks to Martin, I finally was able to get pango to use the Graphite engine. I had to install the debs that he gave me (as far as I know they haven’t made it to a universe repository yet). My attempt to download the… Read More

It’s Pretty Fast, Too

One of the things that’s been bugging us for the past couple weeks has been performance. Sure it’s fast on our machines but what about our target machine. There is quite a difference there. So I was finally able to get a Linux distribution (… Read More