Phonology Assistant includes several features that can help in phonetic searching:
- View multiple search result word lists at once for easy comparison of phones in their environments.
- Create simple or complex phonological search patterns.
- Search patterns can be typed in directly (or pasted from an email from your linguistic consultant!)
- Point and click using the Search Pattern builder
- Create AND / OR / NOT search patterns with a variety of wildcard characters
- Diacritics, stress, syllable breaks, etc. can optionally be ignored in searches.
- Use predefined articulatory or binary features in searches.
- Create user-defined classes for use in searches.
- Sort by search item, preceding or following environments.
- Group data by any column including CV pattern, speaker, preceding or following phonetic environment.
- Easily find minimal pairs or phones in similar environments.