IPA Help 2.1
Released in 2008, IPA Help is a computer program for learning to recognize, transcribe, and produce the sounds of the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA).
You can use IPA Help to do the following tasks:
- Hear IPA sounds by clicking their symbols in the IPA chart.
- Test recognition of phones.
- Hear IPA sounds in context with example data.
Significant changes since version 2.04 (June 2005)
Improved in IPA Help
- Available as an independent program instead of one tool within the Speech Tools suite.
- Help file is now in HTML Help format (and therefore Vista compatible).
Fixed in IPA Help
- Slowed Replay and Pitch Graph features don’t work for non-administrative users.
- The WavFile column appears in Edit Font list, but the font can’t be changed.
- The Intervocalic button is not grayed for examples of diacritics on vowels.
IPA Help Preview
You can preview selected features of IPA Help, including the following:
- Consonant and vowel charts, including their sounds
- Diacritic and suprasegmental charts (no sounds)
- Vocal tract charts
- A sample word list
Minimum System Requirements
- Computer and processor: Computer with Pentium (or equivalent) at 333 megahertz (MHz) or higher
- Memory: 128 MB of RAM
- Hard disk: Hard disk space requirements will vary depending on existing machine configuration and custom installation choices. In the worst case scenario, 60 megabytes is required for installation.
- Operating system: Windows 2000 with at least Service Pack 4 (SP4); or Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2), Windows XP Media Center Edition, or Windows Vista
- Display: 640 by 480 pixels screen resolution (for laptops, use native display resolution)
- Peripherals: Mouse or compatible pointing device
The more RAM and the faster the CPU, the better the software will perform.
Review the latest ReadMe information for more details on this release.
Review the latest Setup information for more detailed setup and removal instructions.
These online ReadMe and Setup files may be newer than the files included in the software download.
To download and install IPA Help 2.1:
- Download IPA Help.
- Choose a folder on your computer where you will unzip the setup files.
Tavultesoft Keyman is not required. However, if you want to create Word Lists, Keyman version 6 (or newer) is recommended to type transcriptions in the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA). For more information on the Web, go to http://www.tavultesoft.com/keyman/editions.php.
IPA Help provides a Keyman keyboard and keying chart for typing IPA characters in the ASAP IPA fonts. The file to install is
C:\Program Files\SIL\IPA Help\IPA-ASAP.kmx. The keying chart can be found at
C:\Program Files\SIL\IPA Help\ IPA-ASAP Keying Chart.rtf.
Support from other software users may be available through the SIL Language Software Community. This community will be growing to become the major source of software support.
IPA Help is distributed as freeware. As such, no warranty or support is provided and you use it at your own risk. We welcome bug reports, which you can send via the form below. However, we cannot guarantee that you will receive a reply or that the bug will be fixed.