Creating an Epub from the Digital Bible Library Bundle
Last week I looked at PathwayB (the command line version of Pathway) to try creating an E-pub from a Digital Bible Library bundle. I was able to get it working with a daily build late last week. I also simplified the command:
C:\Program Files (x86)\SIL\Pathway7\PathwayB fullPathToBundle
The path to the bundle is used for the working folder and the e-pub will be created in that folder. The bundle name will end with .zip which is the signal to the PathwayB program that this is a bundle. The metadata.xml file will need to be in the same folder as the Bundle. It is used for the Title, the copyright statement, etc. The program still allows the user to put the parameters on the command line but it also allows the user to use the ConfigurationTool to describe the desired output. Since the WorldReader doesn’t support links in the e-pub, the ConfigurationTool should be used to set up a style sheet for the e-pub that adds the section headers to the table of contents.
The process of collecting all the style headers and adding them to the table of contents, takes some time but it did finish and give the desired results. The steps for the configuration tool are:
- Launch the Configuration Tool.
- Select Scripture from the left side bar.
- Select Other on the side bar (the output will not be mobile or paper).
- Click the SaveAs icon on the tool bar (this creates an editable copy of the e-pub stylesheet).
- Give the style sheet a name, (perhaps MyEbook).
- Select the properties tab.
- Set the TOC level drop down to “2 Book and Section”.
- Click The Defaults icon on the tool bar.
- Set the Destination drop down to “E-Book (.epub)”.
- Set the Stylesheet drop down to “MyEbook” (or the name you gave it in step 5 above).
- Click the More button and set the title. (It will actually be overridden with the Title from the metadata).
- Click the Front Matter tab and set the Front matter as desired. For example you may want to disable the Cover and Enable the Title page and Copyright Information and choose the no derivatives license.
- Click the compliance check box and OK to close the dialog.
- Close the ConfigurationTool (which saves your settings).
Then when you give the PathwayB command above, you will get an epub created from the DBL bundle.