This is a list of Frequently Asked questions.
- What does FLEx stand for?
- Where can I get help?
- FLEx doesn’t work when I install it.
- FLEx doesn’t start. I get the message ‘Msg: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.’ with the source ‘PalasoUIWindowsForms’.
- FLEx crashed unexpectedly and I see a message similar to ‘Msg: Key 5cbcf087-b3ea-4173-90db-ebafa5ef94cb not found in identity map (actually just an ID is present)’ in the crash that is generated.
- Open your project and make a backup. Then close your project. If you can’t open your project, save off the project directory as a backup and delete an occurrences of a file with the lock extension in the project directory if one exists.
- Open a project other than the one you want to fix
- Go to Tools -> Utilities and check ‘Find and Fix errors etc.’. Click ‘Run checked Utilities Now’
- Check the project you want to fix in the list of projects that appears. Click ‘Fix Links’.
- If any errors are found, you will get a report of the changes.
- Click ‘Ok’ or press enter and you should be good to go.
- I’ve tried what you’ve suggested here, but things still don’t work. What should I try next?
- Where is my project directory?
- What to do if you are having problems with Pathway.
- For Problems with SILKin, contact Gary Morris at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FieldWorks Language Explorer.
You can get help from this webpage.
The first thing to do is to check the MD5 hash tag associated with the download package. This will verify that the download completed successfully.The MD5 hash codes associated with the downloads packages are available on the download page. You can use a free tool such as http://onlinemd5.com/ or WinMD5Free to verify the hash tag against the downloaded file. If the download is incorrect, try downloading it again. If it still doesn’t work, try reinstalling.
It’s possible that something in the Windows settings files has gotten messed up. To fix this, in Windows Explorer, go to %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\SIL. Delete anything to do with FieldWorks, Language Explorer and SIL FieldWorks. Then restart FieldWorks. Hopefully that will get things going again.
It looks like an error that has gotten into your data. You should be able to correct the problem by running the Find and Fix Data utility.
To run this utility:
Try rebooting your machine. That often fixes unusual problems.
The project directory should be named the same as your project. Beginning in version 7 of FLEx, you can see the location it is under it by looking in FLEx under File -> Project Management-> Project Locations and Sharing. The default location is C:\ProgramData\SIL\FieldWorks\Projects. In XP, the default location is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SIL\FieldWorks\Projects
If you use the Reset button in the Pathway Configuration tool, it is supposed to fix the problems. If not, you could try making sure everything is clean by uninstalling and making sure the two folders are gone:
C:\Program Files (x86)\SIL\Pathway and
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\SIL\Pathway (where username is replaced with your user name)
Then reinstall Pathway and it should work.