We are pleased to announce the release of the Harmattan font version 2.000. It is available for download here: Download Harmattan.
The most significant change to this version is the addition of a bold typeface. There are other major changes to this version:
- Added a bold typeface
- Added support for all characters in the Arabic and Arabic Supplement blocks
- Added support for all characters in the Arabic Extended-A block (except for the
Quranic annotation signs)
- Added U+FDFC (rial), U+FDFD (bismillah)
- Added U+02D0, U+02D8..U+02D9, U+02DB, U+02DD, U+034F, U+03C0, U+2044, U+2126, U+2202, U+2206, U+220F, U+2211, U+221A, U+221E, U+222B, U+2248, U+2260, U+2264..U+2265, U+2423
- Implemented language support for Kurdish, Rohingya, Sindhi, Urdu, and Wolof variants
- Implemented Dal, Heh, Arabic U, Inverted Damma, and Eastern Digits features
- Implemented new Allah ligature rules
- Improved support for Shaddah+kasra placement feature
- Removed “Show invisible characters” feature
- Added UI name strings for Graphite and OpenType features
- Improvements to the design of dal- keheh-, yeh-, qaf-, ain-, heh doachashmee-, swash kaf-,
and yeh barree-based characters
- Improvements to the design of U+FDF2 – modified to use shadda-dagger alef (not shadda-fatha)
- Improvements to the design of rohingya yeh
- Improvements to the design and size of digits (latin and arabic)
- Improvements to positioning of combining marks and nuktas
- Adjustments to spacing around many Arabic script characters
- Rework kerning logic based on new spacing around characters
- Improved line spacing to support added characters
- Modified underline and strikethrough position (used by some applications)
- Modified superscript and subscript size and positioning (used by some applications)
- Implemented support for UNICODE ARABIC MARK RENDERING (UTR #53)
Note: We reserve the right to alter metrics in future releases. Future versions of the font may result in different lines, line spacing, or paragraph lengths. Do not expect that a document laid out in one version will always have the same page breaks, etc., in future fonts.
At the time of the Harmattan 2.000 release there is a known issue for printing with Harmattan in Word 2019 and Word 365. Printing to a printer or to pdf may cause a reh-like glyph to shift in its advanced width. The result is that there appears to be a small space between the preceding character and the reh-like character. Microsoft is working on releasing an update that includes a fix for this issue. Once Microsoft releases the update, the solution to this issue will be to update Microsoft Office. You can do this by opening a document in Word and go to File > Account > Update Options > Update Now.
Download the release packages from the Download Page.